Thursday, April 25, 2013

How to Say No


In one of my favorite movies, 27 Dresses, James Marsden’s character attempts to teach Katherine Heigl’s how to say no. Although his efforts are futile, this moment in the film proves to be pretty funny. Katherine Heigl’s inability to say no to people reminds me of a certain blog post. One that I was talked into writing by a certain sophomore in the sixth period writing center. This experience in writing this blog post, that I’m sure no one will particularly care about, really made me realize something about myself: I really can’t say no. Of course, in obvious situations where someone asks if they can have a piece of my chocolate or other sweet and delectable dessert, I have no problem shutting them down with a sweet, and delicate “HECK TO THE NO!” In other cases, however, I am not as sweet or delicate. Cases such as when the lady working the Panera cash register asks me if I want to buy a cookie -  “Uh, duh” - or in more pressing matters, when the lady working the cash register at Orange Leaf asks me if I want to buy a points card. Usually in these situations, I stutter awkwardly until I finally cave and mutter a low and barely audible “yes.” Sometimes, however, I am blessed with the ability to say “no”, but then strickenly burdened with infinite guilt, like today when I was asked if I wanted to be an organ donor. I said no, but I feel really bad about it, because what if I die today and someone needs a heart, or some other organ that my dead body doesn’t need. What then? I mean, I plan to be cremated anyway, so why not give my organs to someone in need? Of course this fear of being an organ donor came from Susan at Drive With Pride, who expressed her deep fear of being an organ donor on her license because she’s a motorcyclist who is afraid that because doctors believe motorcyclists to be committing suicide while riding their motorcycles they’ll just quit trying to save her and then be blessed with organs for everyone. Of course I don’t ride a motorcycle, so I don’t know what I’m so afraid of. But, I digress. Something about saying no just sucks. Besides, if I would’ve said no to that certain sophomore in the sixth period writing center, this blog would be lacking this beautiful post, wouldn’t it?

-Jalana Phillips.

No comments:

Post a Comment